Why Design?

I always knew that one day I would want a career that I would love, I just didn't know it would take me so long to actually decide on my career choice. Truth is, I still don't know. Although, what I do know, is that it will be along the lines of design, in some way or another. When I first attended college in high school, I choose Graphic Design as my major. Then when I graduated I decided to jump right into Interior Design at Washington State University. Interior Design was not for me. You will notice my Interior Design work at the beginning of my blog. I decided to keep it up because it really shows where I started on my journey. Now, I have found myself back in the Graphic Design program at Eastern State University. Hopefully this is where I will stay. If not, well, I am still young.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

ID 201 FA10 Kitchen Design

(Picture will be up soon. Difficulties with scanner.)

When designing the kitchen, my concept was my original one from the Goodnight Sunrise lyric. When I started my early process work I wanted to create a kitchen that was not only an accessible kitchen, but a place to entertain as well. My overall floor plan shows a kitchen completely open to the living room and that is exactly how I wanted it. Almost everything in the kitchen is accessible. From a lowered island to pulldown shelving. This project was very difficult for me with getting all the measurements right and making everything accessible. Yes, there is a wheelchair user, but there are two others who are not in a wheelchair. Remembering that was definitely a weakness for me. I tried to put myself in their shoes to see what it would be like to work and move in the kitchen. To see what it would be like. To see what would and wouldn’t work. I see this as one of my strengths in this project. I even added guest seating along the wall for entertainment purposes. My knowledge of dimensions in a kitchen greatly improved. I didn’t have much previous knowledge beforehand. After this project I feel as if now I know a lot more about kitchens and what can be improved to make things a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment